Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Plus and Minuses of Distance Learning

A Friends Question:
"I have another favor to ask. I think you should have never told me about this option for a masters program, because now you are my sme and I am going to hit you up for your thoughts. SO I was hoping that you would give me your opinion of plus and minuses of Distance learning from an instructional designers point of view? This is for a presentation in 2 weeks so don't feel like you need to get it to me tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help."

My Response
Plus: Distance education is a tool that when used effectively has great potential. When used with sound instructional design methods, distance learning can effectively bring knowledge to people in remote locations and difficult personal situations that have various time or location constraints (full-time job, parenting, bed rest, OCD, leprosy, etc.). In addition, with distance learning schools can increase the capacity of students they are able to serve. Thomas L. Russell has well documented data that proves there is no significant difference in student outcomes between alternative modes of education delivery and traditional modes. So if the same results are found while spending less money all while making it available to a broader number of students, I don't see a reason to not use such a tool.

Minus: Distance Edu. is a tool. When a tool is used badly, there are bad results. Because putting things on-line or making a packet is so easy to do, there are many non-examples of distance learning. A professor/teacher can usually get by on the information they've spent their life gathering and their whit & charm. When you put the same professors class on-line there are often problems. Most classes are not instructionally sound all by themselves but the professor makes them fly because (if they are good) they can add their own personality and liven things up. There is no one to do that at a distance. The content has to be arranged in a way that is self motivating and generates the learners excitement & personality independent of a local cheer leader.

The real problem is that most instruction is simply a journey of trivial pursuit. A class should have analysis, discussion, problem solving; these are the types of things that will generate engaged learners, regardless of the professors personality or the mode of delivery. Distance education will only see the results Dr. Russell found when instructionally sound and engaging material is presented.

1 comment:

Crawford Family said...

I didn;t know you had a blog!!! I am so glad you left a note so now I know! We will be in UT in two weeks would you guys like to get together? We have lots of babysitters at out disposal and I would love to catch up. Let me know what'cha think! We miss you!